Ep.113 Growing an International Professional Development Program with Louise Murray
Have you been seeing the need for a specific professional development program – and wondering how you can get started in creating it?
This month we’ll be discussing professional development online group programs, courses and memberships and how to create one to educate your peers within the health industry. This would allow you to bring your expertise in health, so that your colleagues can help their clients and patients better and give you the opportunity to expand your business.
Today, we have another amazing guest and client, Louise Murray, Accredited Practicing Dietitian, specializing in aged care nutrition. She’ll be sharing with us how she started her professional development online group program that she had developed for years at college and how she launched it to mentor dietitians to become leaders in aged care nutrition and food services.
Here’s what we talked about:
- How I started doing online group programming within the health industry (I saw the need to share what I was doing with other health professionals when I was receiving lots of questions from them!)
- How Louise got started with her idea of a program (and how it’s now being offered virtually worldwide!)
- The details about Louise’s program and how she kept building it out with each group as they went through it (it’s evolved into a 12 month program that’s tailored to the clinical and foundational skills dietitians need in the care of the older adult population!)
- How Louise used the questions that she was regularly receiving in her first version of her program (along with providing extra live support!)
- The importance of mentorship, collaboration and community with other dietitians on this shared journey (which will help the uncertainty that many of us often feel after graduation!)
By creating professional development online programs, we take the opportunity to connect with other health professionals and provide mentoring that they need. By looking at the questions we are getting from our colleagues and identifying gaps in the market, we have the chance to develop a program that guides them while also fixing some of those issues!
Louise Murray is an Accredited Practicing Dietitian, specializing in aged care nutrition. She initially started her career as a clinical dietitian however, the opportunity arose as a new grad to review an aged care menu. Her determination was ignited to remove party pies and sausage rolls from aged care menus, and it has become her passion to improve food quality for older people over the past 18 years.
Her grandmother was a Polish refugee to Australia, so she learnt a lot about the social connection of sitting around a table to cook, trade recipes and share a meal together. This experience developed her respect for older people and how we can give back to them with the simple social connection that food brings.
Louise has a special interest in teaching dietitians the skills and knowledge required to become specialist dietitians in aged care through an online mentoring program, to do more than just individual referrals. Her consultancy Nosh to Nourish now specializes in both consulting directly to aged care organizations, as well as mentoring dietitians to become leaders in aged care nutrition and food services.
If you enjoyed this podcast, you may enjoy these 3 episodes about transitioning online with your professional development program:
- Ep.47 Transitioning to Online
- Ep.61 Moving a Professional Workshop Online with Michelle Archer
- Ep.75 Build It As You Go with Beth Auguste
For additional training and resources to help you know where to start, what to focus on and how to create a results-driven program for your health practice, join the Build Your Leveraged Group Practice Facebook Group. This is the place to be if you’re saturated with one-to-one clients, and want to build a business that provides you with greater impact and income – without burn out.
Join by clicking here